Top Handbag Trends of the Season
Owning the “perfect handbag” is every girls dream, but choosing one from the thousands of different styles/sizes/textiles can be daunting. Get the breakdown of current handbag trends directly from an insider in the fashion business, The Stylista Diaries. Her blog has a delightful assortment of current trends, fashion news, and editorial perspectives that will most definitely pique your interest!
Handbags are a staple to every girl’s wardrobe and they house essential things that are useful for our daily lives such as cell phones, money, and keys. Frankly, I don’t know what I would do without handbags; if anything I would feel rather naked! Since we rely on them every day, we might as well spice things up and invest in some great pieces. But what’s so fun about a plain black bag? Toss that aside for now and get the hottest looks of the season. Below are my top 5 picks of current handbag trends!
1. Bold Colors: Who says color is reserved for the spring/summer? Why not invest in some bold bags all year round? The best thing about bold-colored bags is that they allow you to take that all black ensemble and instantly kick it up a notch! Choose from colors such as mustard yellow, pink, turquoise, cobalt blue, deep purple, or grass green, and more importantly, don’t be afraid to make a statement!
Tory Burch’Thalie Shoulder Bag’: Reg: $495.00
Aldo ‘Barumuni’: Reg: $45.00, Now: $27.98
Topshop ‘Qulited Piped Cross Body Bag’: Reg: 25 Pounds
Valentino Braided Tote, Reg: $2,110, Now: $1,295
2. Studded: Studs have been gracing handbags from the likes of Tory Burch to Marc Jacobs. Adding these gold and silver touches to basic handbag designs gives it a new ’80s vibe, making them more edgy and rocker glam. Studded handbags come in various styles — whether they’re small subtle embellishments down the middle of the bag or huge pyramid studs that adorn the entire bag, there is definitely a style that fits everyone. Wear your studded handbag with a pair of destroyed skinny jeans, gladiators, and a loose tee to create that edgy vibe! Rock on!
Novela Royal ‘Mister Stud Bowler Bag’: Reg: $584.00
Marc Jacobs ‘Stardust Shoulder Bag’: Reg: $550.00
Valentino ‘Maison Studded Tote’: $2,495.00
3. Fringe: With celebs such as Mary-Kate Olsen and Nicole Ritchie popularizing the bohemian style, it was only natural that this style would translate into handbags as well. Although there are several styles out there, I prefer slouchy hobos or long strapped shoulder bags that make your outfit feel relaxed and efforless . Wear this fringe bag with a maxi dress and you’re ready to shop at the vintage flea markets!
J.J Winters ‘Suede Fringe Bag’: Reg: $490.00
Shop Intuition ‘Fringe Bag’: Reg: $315.00
Forever 21 ‘Valiah Studded Fringe Tote’: Reg: $34.00, Now: $16.99
Furla ‘Halley Bag’: Reg: $780.00, Now: $468.00
4. Crossbody Bags (Slings)/ Long Shoulder bags: Lately, I’ve spotted several purses with straps that are definitely longer than usual. The long shoulder bags have been revived from the ’80s and early ’90s. These shoulder bags are functional in that they can also be worn as a crossbody bag, or sling as well (depending how long it is). If worn as a sling, the best thing about them is not having to constantly worry about them slipping off your shoulders. It’s definitely a “no fuss” bag, yet it still retains its fashionable aspect. If worn as a regular long shoulder bag, you can pull off the “vintage” look by pairing it with flats and skinny jeans. However you wear it, you’ll definitely look chic with this bag!
Marc by Marc Jacobs ‘Percy Turnlock Crossbody Bag’: Reg: $198.00
Jack Rabbit ‘The Concord Crossbody’: Reg: $595.00
Elliot Luca ‘Valencia Crossbody’: Reg: $98.00, Now: $49.00
Cole Haan Women’s Village Leather Cross-Body: Reg: $195.00
5. Clutches: Give your shoulders a break from those heavy bags and pick up a clutch! They come in so many different patterns, shapes, and sizes that it’s impossible to not find the perfect one for you. Go for sleek, structured bags or if you’re feeling a little gutsy, opt for fun patterns such as ikat. Clutches are so versatile; you can pair them with jeans for a more casual look or wear a bold faux python patterned one with a classic LBD!
Halston ’70’s Envelope Clutch’: Reg: $548.49
Raquel Faux Python Clutch: Reg: $23.96
Imon ‘Global Chic Classic Couture Envelope Clutch’: Reg: $49.95 (sold out)