How to Find the Perfect Basic T-shirt
Every outfit can start with a basic white t-shirt. You can pair it with jeans, a skirt, some shorts, or layer it underneath a variety of pieces. Sarah from Shop Sarah Mac is here to show us some of the best basic t-shirts out there, and how to decide which one is right for you. Check out her fashion and beauty blog showing the latest and greatest trends, styles, and events.
As Giorgio Armani says, “I’ve thought of the t-shirt as the alpha and the omega of the fashion alphabet.” I happen to agree. When looking for a white t-shirt, I like thin and sheer. Others may enjoy a thicker white tee with more coverage. No matter what your preference, always make sure it fits perfectly as it is the base for your outfit. There are a range of prices for your average white tee as well with some labels pricing shirts over $100. Are they worth it? Some yes. On the other hand, some of us also like a nice Hanes t-shirt (like fashion editor, Nina Garcia, believe it or not).
When buying a white tee it’s important to make sure the fit is not too tight but not too loose. You do not want to look too frumpy or wear something that shows all your imperfections. The neckline should be mid-range in proportion to your neck and chest. Feel the material and make sure it will last through at least one wash. A white tee should look effortless yet classy.
Invest in a few, seeing as you can dress down anything with a tee or create glamor with the tee as your base. Add chunky jewelry and accessories to change your look. I have searched high and low for the best tees and here is the list:
1. American Aparrel- They offer a wide range of styles depending on your personal choice. The price is right with shirts starting at $14.
2. Hanes – Hanes seems to be a popular choice with fashion editors like Nina Garcia. And who can beat a 3-pack for $8?
3. James Perse – This is another well-known shirt (pictured) with the hemline hitting the waist perfectly. It is worth the $50.
4. J.Crew – The name brand has a loyal following especially with their boyfriend tees at $30 a pop.
5. LNA – LNA has some great V-necks, priced at $60, and they don’t go too low, if you know what I mean…