How To Get The Best January Fashion Deals
Didn’t get to take that holiday cruise you’d been dreaming of?
If you can’t sail away, why not SALE away…by taking advantage of one of the prime clothing discount months of the year.
According to Shop It To Me data, the steepest online clothing sales for women are found during January/February (average 50%-off during those months vs. yearly average of 48% off) and also during August/September.
To score some goodies when the timing is ripe, follow these handy tips and Treat Yourself:
1. Think sweet 16: January is one of the best months of the year for clothing sales, but the discounts will be the biggest in the second half of the month, starting around January 16. You may see good deals now, but if you wait a little longer, sales will get better. Most retailers close their fiscal years on January 31 and they want to book as much revenue as they can and clear inventory prior to that date.
2. Sale on sale: Throughout January you’ll see retailers offering additional discounts on merchandise that’s already steeply marked down. We’ve seen this “sale on sale” trend for a few weeks now, and it is continuing through the end of the month. For example, Calvin Klein is offering an additional 25% off sale items until 1/20, and French Connection has an additional 60% off on sale merchandise (plus free shipping with code FCNOW!) until 1/31. We’ve compiled a list of this week’s best retailer sales.
3. Pick your pieces wisely: January is the best month of the year for sales on dresses, skirts, jewelry, t-shirts, dress shirts, athletic pants and shorts. Check out the full detailed rundown that our data team pulled together.
4. Naming names: As far as the sales we’re holding out for, our team will be shopping Nine West for up 70% off through 1/30, Shoes.com for 15% off and free shipping (with promo code 15OFF through 1/28), and Cusp for 65% off regular-priced apparel and 55% off regular-priced accessories (through 1/21). The moms and dads in our midst will be scooping up Crocs (spend $100, save $20 with code JAN20 until 1/31). And, for all you North Face stalkers out there, check out REI-OUTLET for up to 50% off on select gear (through 1/23) and fresh closeout gear (from 1/24 – 1/31).
5. Baby it’s not so cold outside: It’s already a boon that many locales are balmier than usual, but an added bonus is that retailers are going to get serious about moving outerwear off their shelves. Historically women’s coats have averaged 47% off at this time of year, men’s have averaged at 40% off, girl’s have averaged at 40% off and boy’s have averaged at 38% off. Use this as your barometer, and if you see steeper sales, snap them up for better than average deals. We’ve also just noticed new outerwear promotions sprouting up from retailers such as All Saints, Sports Authority, Jos A Bank and Eddie Bauer, among others.