SURVEY RESULTS: Taking the “Tax” Out of Daily Living
Tax season will soon be gone, but it’s not the only thing that we find “taxing”. In fact, some things tax us all year long.
We wanted to know about the biggest drags on your daily routine, so we could help with some solutions. (Perhaps, the perfect use for that extra cash you might be getting back from Uncle Sam?) Here’s what you told us about the most taxing parts of your day!
Who hasn’t awoken in the AM and wished for a personal valet, makeup artist or chauffeur to get them out the door? According to our new survey, more than 50% of you find getting groomed (shower/shave, hair/makeup) and deciding what to wear to be the most taxing parts of your morning routines (28% and 25% respectively). The commute to work rounded out the top three responses with 19% of the vote.
Photo via kidspot.com.au
During the day, about 40% of you say that completing your daily to-do list is the most taxing. Responding to emails and phone calls came in second at 20%, and handling miscellaneous admin tasks was third at 19%.
At nighttime, completing household chores (30%), making dinner (23%) and getting to the gym/working out (21%) are the things that tax you most.
Our team suggests using a little of your refund to help tackle some of these taxing tasks. For example:
- Splurge on the services of a personal stylist (check out Urban Darling.com) who can simplify and rationalize your wardrobe–saving you time every single morning.
- Hire a professional organizer. While it won’t eliminate your to-do list or household chores, it will provide you with tools for streamlining and managing daily tasks. You can find one in your area on NAPO.net.
- Outsource dinner. Services like DreamDinners.com
eliminate the tedious parts of meal preparation, while ensuring that you and your family get a healthful, home-cooked meal.
No refund coming? How about these do-it-yourself solutions:
- Be your own stylist. Spend a few weekend hours going through your wardrobe and assembling outfits; then snap photos and post your favorite looks on your closet door. You won’t have to think in the morning, just copy the photo!
- Involve the kids in dinner preparation. They can help with table setting, veggie-cleaning and milk pouring.
- Bring the gym home. Purchase an inexpensive rebounding trampoline (via Craigslist or eBay) and get in your exercise while you watch TV. (Think of all the money you’ll save.)
And don’t forget Shop It To Me! While we can’t rescue you from having the tax man cometh, we can be your personal assistant when it comes to shopping. Put us to work to find the pieces you want on sale in your sizes. It’s just that simple!
Methodology: Results are based on 480+ respondents from a survey fielded by Shop It To Me the week of April 2-6, 2012.
Other related posts:
Tax-Day Giveaway: Nominate a stylish accountant to win a designer bag!
Survey Results: How you plan to spend your tax refund
Time-saving tips: 5 busy accountants weigh in on how they make it through crunch-time