Men are “like hummingbirds,” and other advice from Silicon Valley’s leading matchmaker
We’ve all been there: stressing over what to wear on that all-important first date.
So we turned to dating expert Amy Andersen, founder of Linx Dating, who has launched hundreds of relationships and dozens of marriages. Known as the Cupid of Silicon Valley, Amy teaches tech executives, entrepreneurs and investors how to date. We asked her for some dos and don’ts for smart first-date dressing.
“First impressions are lasting ones when it comes to dating,” Amy says. “That doesn’t mean you need to wear designer clothes. It’s about being well groomed: think nice haircut/color and feminine nail polish for ladies; for men, neck hair shaved, clothes pressed.
According to Amy, men and women are very different when it comes to first-date impressions. “Men are visual creatures. He will know within the first 30-60 seconds if he is interested — purely based on physical attraction.” She recommends women “channel your inner Natalie Portman” — be classic, lady like and stylish.
- Wear color. Men are like hummingbirds and are attracted to red and jewel tones. Avoid black, Army green and gray.
- Avoid super-baggy clothing. (Men want to see a woman’s figure!) You don’t need to show a lot of skin, but know what works for your body type.
- Skip the heels if he’s short. Your towering height could make him feel insecure, so it’s safer to wear flats.
The typical Silicon Valley man is a challenge when it comes to dating, says Amy. He often shows up wearing yesterday’s clothing and looking like he just woke up from a nap. Amy counsels male clients to wear clean, pressed clothes. She recommends he invest in:
- A great pair of dark denim jeans.
- A good sport coat — something with personality, like Etro.
- Beautiful shoes, like a pair of leather Ferragamo drivers. Shoes that are scuffed up or outdated could be a reason she eliminates him from the dating game.
She encourages both men and women mix up their dating look in the early stages: “If you are uptown with your day-to-day fashion, go for a more edgy downtown look on a date.” For women, she recommends playing with colors, texture and shine to keep him on the edge of his seat and excited to see you. For more about Amy and linxdating, hop over to her site here.