Category — Annie Ladino: Chief Stylist
In fashion, I have come to learn that there will ALWAYS be a last minute crunch to make sure everything is perfect. Today was no different as I was in final fittings for Joy Cioci’s show, pairing each model with proper footwear and accessories minutes prior to them strutting down the catwalk. With a giant sigh of relief, my work was done, and the show turned out amazingly. That’s the funny thing about fashion, it always seems to work out in the final seconds. I’m totally obsessed with the Patricia Underwood hats we decided to use; they are sophisticated, yet understated sexy, exactly like Joy’s collection.
After the show, I dashed to Fashion Next, ELLE’s partnership with Savannah College of Art and Design, which was full of raw and unexposed talent. I am so excited to see what the next generation of designers will produce, the ones following Alex Wang, Thakoon, and Richard Chai. They have a fresh and inventive way at looking at clothing which pleasantly surprises me every time I view their collections. After the show, I met up with some of my favorite industry folk from ELLE for a drink to cap off another great day at NYFW. Until tomorrow….
September 12, 2011 No Comments
I had to block the first day of shows to do fittings for my friend Joy Cioci’s show.
It’s Joy’s second season showing at the tents. She used to be the Creative Director of Wink and we met at a Bismarck Phillips PR dinner many years ago. When she started her own collection she asked me to style the show and we’ve been working closely since. Her bio is on her site http://www.joycioci.com/about.html
This season I’m blown away by the vibrant hues in her collection. I have a strong penchant for lace and embroidery and that is a strong theme throughout. We have very different aesthetics but work great together because we respect one another’s point of view. My goal is to follow Joy’s direction and stay within her style when picking accessories.
This year we got two of my favorite lines to sponsor Joy’s accessories. Shoes were provide by Pour la Victoire and Kelsi Dagger. We added lucite jewelry from Ben-Amun.
Throughout the day three pairs of heels broke so my intern Via went on the hunt for a shoe repair who could fix the shoes by the end of the day.
Meanwhile, Cara Waltrip the Sales Director of the line helped me find alternates. I value Cara’s opinion and have tremendous respect for her taste. I always find myself asking her opinion before I make a purchase.
By 6:00 pm I was rushing out the door to meet my good friend Jared Eng from Justjared.com for #FNO. We had a list of must hit stops so we mapped out the night to start downtown and end uptown.
First stop was Tory Burch in the meatpacking district. Here we met Tory but couldn’t find her publicist Esther Song. Tory was genuine and down to earth. Her kids were running around and there was a great food truck out front.
We didn’t have time to mingle—and within 20 minutes were en route to the train.
It took us three trains to get to Dolce & Gabbana on Madison Avenue where Justin Bieber was the surprise guest. I knew he’d be on hand but was sworn to secrecy. The special guest I was there to see was my good friend Brooklyn Decker.
The crowd of screaming tweens and bad cell reception made it impossible for me and Jared to find Brooklyn on the 3rd floor. So we decided to walk a block to Lanvin.
The hosts at Lanvin was my former boss, Joe Zee, Creative Director of Elle, Iman and Dwyane Wade. There was a dance challenge happening, where couples mimicked the choreography seen in the brand’s “Hiver 2011” ad campaign video. Since Joe was busy on stage, I had fun hanging with my best friend Sarah Schussheim, who now works with Joe.
Since Sarah and I both were exhausted from the shows we worked on today - we decided to call it an early night and head to the train station by Barneys. We made quick stops in the Tory Burch flagship, where we finally found Esther, and then at Calvin Klein where I was tempted to get an I LoVE Lara t-shirt but was dragged out before I could.
After a long day of walking in my always comfortable Valentino kitten heels—I collapsed at home and put my feet up. Joy’s show 6:00 pm at Lincoln Center, but I am still missing a couple pairs of shoes and need to finish some looks. After Joy’s show—I’ll have a couple of others to see and a few parties to visit before calling it a night.
September 10, 2011 No Comments
The U.S. Open tennis matches are this weekend’s hottest ticket. For those lucky enough to make it to Flushing Meadows before the finals next Sunday, we asked our Chief Stylist Annie Ladino to weigh in on what to wear. She’s been known to style beautiful player’s box regular, Brooklyn Decker. Read on for a slice of Annie’s advice.
Although style and sports are not always synonymous, the U.S. Open serves as a fashionista’s alternative to the catwalks at Lincoln Center. Dressing for this annual event can go two ways: courtside casual or powerhouse chic.
When opting for low-key comfort yet effortless style like U.S. Open diehards Cameron Diaz and Gwen Stefani, it’s all about layering. Though fall is still three weeks away, when the calendar marks September, there always
seems to be a mass break out of knits and denim, and the Open is no different.
Stella McCartney Sequin Cape, Reg $1395, Now $488
Rag and Bone Crop Sweater, Reg $195, Now $97.99
Jil Sander Cardigan, sold out
With denim offered in so many different styles and colors this fall, I’m looking to shy away from my live-in skinnies and head in an alternative direction with one of these:
Current/Elliott Skinny Crop Jeans, Reg $200, Now $70
Genetic Denim Fever Mid Jeans, Reg $198, Now $99.99
Genetic Denim Boyfriend Jeans, Reg $176, Now $59.99
Twenty8Twelve Skinny Jeans, Reg $270, Now $67.50
With the sun gleaming down on the courts, it will be hard to catch every play without a pair of stylish shades:
3.1 Phillip Lim Aviator Sunglasses, Reg $225, Now $67.50
Cheap Monday Black Telekenesis Sunglasses, Reg $30, Now $13
Cheap Monday Scrying Shades, Reg $30, Now $15
Rag and Bone Piaggio Sunglasses, Reg $345, Now $104
3.1 Phillip Lim Square Frame Sunglasses, Reg $225, Now $67.50
Extra accessories to optimize your look:
Emlio Pucci Printed Silk Scarf, Reg $288, Now $100.80
Marc Jacobs Printed Scarf, Reg $250, Now $112
Madewell Summer Sun Hat, Reg $38, Now $16.99
J.Crew Colorblock Hat, Reg $38.50, Now $19.99
Looking for a more refined look to sport at the Open a la Anna Wintour or Donald Trump? Trade out your knitwear for a chic suiting option:
Theory Stretch Black Blazer, Reg $495, Now $345
Just Cavalli Textured Crop Blazer, Reg $775, Now $271
Rag and Bone Bromley Blazer, Reg $377, Now $295
ADAM Linen Boy Blazer, Reg $345, Now $138
And pair with a structured mini or tailored pant:
See by Chloe Skirt, Reg $195, Now $135.99
Alexander Wang Assymetrical Skirt, Reg $450, Now $157.50
Stella McCartney Pinstripe Pants, Reg $595, Now $237.99
Theory Classical Pants, Reg $215, Now 106.90
Keep these styling tips in mind when planning your looks for the stylish sporting event of the year and it is sure to be a fashion game, set, and match in your favor!
September 4, 2011 No Comments
Who is the Virgo woman?
Splurging on classic investment pieces rather than of the moment show-stoppers, the Virgo woman opts for minimalism over, “over-the-top”, ALWAYS. She is organized and observant, thus thoughtfully chooses each outfit to create for seemingly effortless results. Extremely detail-oriented, the Virgo woman is constantly on the lookout for the perfect texture, cut, trim, color, pattern, lining, and silhouette to complement the already existing pieces in her wardrobe. Virgo’s high standards translate to all areas of her life, including her fashion sense. Therefore, her closest not only contains every wardrobe essential, but is precisely categorized, cleaned, and color-coded.
Ruling Planet: Mercury, the planet of day-to-day expression and communication.
Pippa Middleton – September 6, 1983
Michelle Williams – September 9, 1980
Jennifer Hudson – September 12, 1981
Stella McCartney September 13, 1971
Nicole Richie September 21, 1981
August 30, 2011 No Comments
Who: Annie Ladino and Smart Cookie Sandra Hanna
What: Fall Makeover Guide – 5 secrets on updating your look for less than $200
When: August 30th at 5pm PST, 8pm EST
Where: Your computer! Click HERE to register.
Why: Valuable tips on investment pieces, must have accessories, secrets to spending less, and more
Limited space available, so be sure to sign up as soon as possible — this is one webinar that’s not to be missed!
August 24, 2011 No Comments
With wedding season in full bloom, I am often asked, “What is modern fashion etiquette for a wedding guest?
Today’s wedding dress codes can be a challenge to navigate. We want to dress to impress, but don’t want upstage the bride. How can we find the right balance? Read on for my wedd-iquette“I do’s”:
Tip 1 – Wear White!
We’ve all heard the rule that you should NEVER wear white to a wedding. That’s only partially true.
While there is only one person allowed to wear white head to toe, guests CAN wear white without upstaging the bride — as long as it’s worn in small doses. Here are my tricks for avoiding a fashion faux pas.
Try printed dresses that incorporate white:
1) Marni Watercolor dress, Now $529.50 (70% off)
2) Nicole Miller Drape Back Dress, Now $170.90 (55% off)
3) Twenty8Twelve Silk Chiffon dress, Now $120 (70% off)
4) Tibi Lace Shift Dress, Now $147.50 (60% off)
5) Ella Moss Striped Maxi Dress, Now $91.20 (52% off)
Or add hints of white with accessories:
6) Dolce & Gabbana Crochet Pumps, Now $436 (20% off)
7) Alexander McQueen Classic Skull Clutch, Now $870 (30% off)
8) Kate Space necklace, Sold Out
9) Michael Kors Patent Platform Sandals, Now $139.99 (67% off)
10) Lanvin Silk Satin Pochette, Now $269.50 (65% off)
If you’re dying to wear a white solid, just break it up: wear white only on top or bottom and complement it with a bright color:
11) Marc Jacobs Long Embroidered Dress, Now $1470 (70% off)
12) Opening Ceremony Button-Back Dress, Now $352 (50% off)
Tip 2 – Pastels are Powerful
Another great array of wedding-appropriate colors to try are PASTELS. They’re soft and flattering, but they’re definitely not the bride’s color.
13) Tibi Strapless Dress, Now $244.30 (65% off)
14) Marc Jacobs Ruffled Pearl Embellished Satin Dress, Now $1,000, (60% off)
Tip 3 – Black Tie Alternative: The Evening Short
Take a cue from the well-dressed men in your life: stand out fromthat sea of chiffon in a pair of structured shorts. Try classic black, or be daring in sequins:
15) Stella McCartney Tailored Shorts, Now $267 (65% off)
16) Rag and Bone Cuffed Shorts, Now $92 (65% off)
17) Marc Jacobs High-Waisted Shorts, Now $280 (60% off)
Tip 4 – Put Your Best Foot Forward
Whether your dancing all night or leaping to catch the bouquet, 4-inch stilettos can make it tricky to move with grace. Instead, kick up your heels in these embellished flats:
18) Loeffler Randall Flat Twist Sandals, Now $188 (36% off)
19) Miu Miu Peep Toe Flats, Now $504 (20% off)
20) Giuseppe Zanotti Suede Ballerina Flats, Now $299.25 (65% off)
If you feel you must add height, try a comfortable evening wedge like one of these:
21) Michael Kors Wiley Wedge, Now $132 (52% off)
22) Dolce Vita Sandals, Now $83.25 (55% off)
23) Elizabeth and James Metal Strap Sandals, Now $275.99 (30% off)
So don’t panic when the next invitation arrives. With these simple tips, you can walk down the aisle in style – and not end up banned from future guest lists.
August 12, 2011 4 Comments
A great new pair of designer jeans and some fabulous trendy boots…there’s nothing better for the fall. But with prices on got-to-have-it brands starting at $225 this season, can anyone afford a new pair?
You can, and you don’t have to wait until January for discounts: August and September offer some of the steepest sales of the entire year on both denim and boots.
Last year, online discounts on women’s jeans were 43% in September and 42% in August: perfect timing to get some great new denim for the fall. Shop It To Me’s Founder/CEO, Charlie Graham says, “it’s because retailers extend their August back-to-school sales for kids to junior brands. That prompts markdowns on women’s denim too.”
“Pre-season sales designed to get you ‘in the door’ likely are the reason for the great discounts on women’s boots”, says Charlie. Although the biggest markdowns are in early spring, you can find the perfect pair of boots in August for 40% off. In this case, playing the waiting game thinking you’ll snag a pair during peak winter season isn’t advised. Women’s boot styles available online during November/December last year were only 35-36% off on average.
What are you waiting for? Make sure your preferences are current with the denim brands that map to your jean-etics and designer boots you want to walk in this fall. Discounts will disappear as soon as autumn arrives because retailers know you NEED those winter staples. Happy shopping!
Keen on snapping up the August sales, Annie Ladino, Shop It To Me’s Chief Stylist, found these boots and denim styles in today’s Salemail:
1) Loeffler Randall Mesh Lace-Up Booties, Now $188 (70% off)
2) Free People Legion Buckle Booties, Now $49.95 (64% off)
3) Alexander Wang Whipstitch Ankle Boots, Now $237.99 (60% off)
4) Giuseppe Zanotti Crystal-Embellished Boots, Now $632 (60% off)
5) Madewell Denim Boots, Now $139.99 (30% off)
6) Current/Elliott Bell Mid-Rise Flare Jeans, Now $80.50 (65% off)
7) Twenty8Twelve by Sienna Miller Skinny Jeans, Now $67.50 (75% off)
8) J Brand Zipper Skinny Jeans, Now $149 (20% off)
9) Lauren by Ralph Lauren Boyfriend Jeans, Now $69.65 (30% off)
10) Current/Elliott Boyfriend Ripped Jeans, Now $87.99 (60% off)
August 9, 2011 No Comments
Now that I’ve been working with Shop It To Me for a while, my friends and clients ask me for insider advice to get the best deals.
The truth is, it’s so easy that you really don’t need any special tricks to find insane steals on everything from Alexander Wang to Alaïa (OK, everyone knows I have an issue).
But, in the interest of sharing what I’ve learned, here are my top 10 tips for customizing your Salemail to find exactly what YOU want.
Tips for Newbies to Shop It To Me:
1. During sign up, be sure to click “all brands” so you have the full roster of 800+ women’s brands to choose from (not just the 60 or so featured). Then, select 15-20 to get started. (You can always add more later). Here are some of my personal favorites: Alaïa, Givenchy, Isabel Marant, Proenza Schouler, Dolce & Gabbana, Margiela, YSL, and Dannijo. And, on the more affordable end of the spectrum: Madewell, J.Crew, Gap, Sigerson Morrison, and Pour La Victoire.
2. In that initial sign-up, it’s smart to select multiple sizes if you’re “in between.” For example, check both 4 and 6 if you sometimes wear one and sometimes the other. You’ll get the most matches if you select both number and letter sizes (eg: size 4 and S).
3. Start by getting Salemail twice a week. Of course, if you’re a shopaholic, you may want it daily! Remember that YOU control how often you get Salemail, and you can change this at any time.
4. The early bird gets the worm when it comes to Salemail. Items sell out quickly, so you want to jump on the Salemail as soon as it lands in your inbox. Salemails usually arrive by 10am ET – perfect timing for a mid-morning break.
5. If you’re having a problem—send an email to email@example.com. The staff is really responsive.
Tips for everybody (newbies and veterans alike!)
6. Take to Twitter and follow @shopittome for late breaking sale news and exclusive offers.
7. Remember that you can log on to edit your preferences at any time. If you change your mind about a brand or a category in your Salemail, simply update your profile to remove it.
8. If there are retailers in your Salemail that aren’t your faves, you can delete them right in the Salemail. “Remove Retailer” is on the far right of the retailer bar within each salemail.
9. Always check your Salemail for additional discount codes. When available, they are posted just below a retailer’s name at the top of that retailer’s daily sales. A bunch of retailers like to give our members exclusive codes.
10. Shop It To Me Search is a great tool if you’re trying to narrow down by price, or you if are on the hunt for something immediately. It will show you all sales in your brands and sizes. Log in at any time www.shopittome.com/search and you’ll see your customized page. Perfect when you’re looking for something special for an event!
July 30, 2011 No Comments
Be an accessory to the bargains. Annie’s inside scoop on what to snap up in August.
Great accessories can take almost any outfit to a whole new level, and August is the perfect time of year to expand your collection of little extras (thanks for the tip-off, dear data team!). Belts, scarves and other accessory items will be available at their best discounts of the year, with online sales last year averaging 52% off during August, compared with an average 47% the rest of the year.
You probably won’t want to accessorize some of the other best buys this month: comfy sleepwear ( 49% off vs. 41% off) and athletic shirts (47% vs. an average 42% off). But if you have suggestions on how to do so, please leave me comments below.
So, before you “check out” for your August vacation, check in on some of my August shopping picks below.
Accessories: Scarves aren’t just for tying around your neck. Loop it as a belt, add a hint of color to a bag or just plain tie around your hips for a new look.
Belts: The easiest and fastest way to flatter your figure, Belts add instant definition to your waist.
Athletic/Sleepwear: Not just for gym, sweatshirts are the perfect slouchy cut comfort addition to your everyday wardrobe. I like the juxtaposition of wearing it with florals.
Blumarine Sleepwear (40%-off), Ralph Lauren nightshirt (31%-off), Calvin Klein sleepwear (31%-off)
July 28, 2011 No Comments
We just love all the great styling advice and insider tips that our Chief Stylist Annie Ladino shares … don’t you?
Animal-print adoring Annie is our favorite Leo, and she happens to have a little birthday coming up this week.
We sneaked a peek at her Salemail to find the perfect prezzie. But with so much good stuff to choose from, we had trouble narrowing it down.
What do you think? Can you help us decide on Annie’s birthday gift?
July 28, 2011 1 Comment