Category — Best Things To Buy
If you’re wondering whether Presidents’ Day promotions are purely a sales pitch–when it comes to shopping for clothing online, price reductions are the real deal.
According to Shop It To Me’s data, Presidents’ Day ranks second just behind Labor Day as the best holiday to grab the steepest online sales on apparel. Here’s how the holiday discounts stacked up in 2011:
Labor Day–48.4% off
Presidents Day–46.7% off
Columbus Day–45.2% off
New Year’s Day–44.2% off
Independence Day–43.5% off
Memorial Day — 42% off
In fact, Presidents’ Day deals even outpaced Black Friday (42.1% off) and Cyber Monday (41.1% off).
February overall is one of the best months of the year to find great deals online (particularly for certain categories), and the average online discount for the month was 45.6% (compared to an average of 44% for the full year).
Six of the top 24 sale days of 2011 fell in February. The deepest markdowns were available in the days leading up to Presidents’ Day.
47.2% off on the Saturday before Presidents’ Day;
46.9% off on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before;
46.8% off on the day before (Sunday)
So, although February is short and sweet, it may be the top month to shop, particularly Presidents Day weekend!
Methodology: Shop It To Me, the free online personal shopper, analyzed over 693,000 markdowns throughout 2011 available from over 150+ online retailers.
February 13, 2012 1 Comment
Whether you’re off in couples land, dating around or enjoying the single life, Valentine’s Day is just days away. Like it or hate it, it’s an excuse to go on extravagant dates or binge on sweets ’til you can’t move. Lucky for you, we’ve rounded up perfect items and sales to match your plans, whatever they may be.
Ladies night in.
Your perfect sale: CUSP by Neiman Marcus 40% off Ready-To-Wear items plus free shipping thru Thursday 2/16.
If it’s rom-coms and wine with the ladies on your agenda, here are some necessities to round out your evening.
Casual date night.
Your perfect sale: Tory Burch jewelry sale up to 65% off plus free shipping over $250 with code VDAYSHIP thru Friday 2/10.
If a no-frills, but fun date is what you’re planning then you can go a bit less extravagant and trade the dress in for a cute ensemble like the one below.
From Left: Theory Ruched Top, was $235, NOW $163.99 | Joe’s Jeans Wax Coated Jeans, was $198, NOW $138.99 | Sam Edelman Lyla Pump, was $174.95, NOW $129.90 | Tory Burch Embroidered Skyline Collar Necklace, was $265, NOW $182.50
Sassy date night.
Your perfect sale: Rachel Rachel Roy 30% off all full-price dresses plus free shipping over $99 thru Sunday 2/12.
If you plan to go all-out with an evening of fancy fun, we’ve picked some stunning dresses to fit the sassy occasion.
From left: Rachel Pally Dove Dress, was $207, NOW $144.90 | BCBGeneration One Shoulder Ruffle Dress, was $138, NOW $54.97 | Rachel Rachel Roy Eve Dress, was $119, NOW $83.30 | Reiss Grace Silk Drape Dress, was $340, NOW $150
Moping with chocolate night.
Your perfect sale: BareNecessities.com get 10% off orders with code SAVE10BN plus free shipping over $70 thru Saturday 2/11.
Not your year? We’ve all been there. Pull up that blanket, grab the Ben & Jerrys and go to town with some of these adorable pj picks.
February 7, 2012 No Comments
Everyone knows that February is the shortest and sweetest month of the year, but it’s also a super one for clothing sales too! Perhaps because of Presidents’ Day promotions, February is one of the top four months of the year (along with January, July, and August) to find the steepest clothing discounts online.
And if you want to know this month’s must buys, it’s casual shirts (52% off vs. annual average of 50%), casual pants (55% off vs. annual average of 50%), skirts (55% off vs. annual average of 53%), and suits (58% off vs. annual average of 50%). Within those categories, here’s what our chief stylist Annie Ladino has her eye on.
February 6, 2012 1 Comment
Our data scientists did us a solid and analyzed over 11 million women’s sale items found online throughout last year to tell us the best things to buy in January. Here’s our guide to how much you can save now vs. any other month along with some of our favorite picks in each category.
If you’re resolving to be more stylish or money-saving in 2012, shop now in January for:
- Dresses (54% off vs. yearly average of 51% off)
- Jewelry (48% off vs. 46%)
- Skirts (55% off vs. 53%)
- Dressier tops (53% off vs. 48% off)
And, for all you sporty spices out there, athletic pants will average 50% off vs. the yearly average of 45% off, shorts will average 55% off vs. the yearly average of 52% off and t-shirts will average 52% off vs. the yearly average of 47% off.
Methodology: Our data team looked at more than 11 million total women’s markdowns from over 100 online retailers, available between April 1, 2010-March 31, 2011. We analyzed the discounts available each month, and called out which categories were more on sale in January 2011 than any other month during that time period.
January 12, 2012 No Comments
Didn’t get to take that holiday cruise you’d been dreaming of?
If you can’t sail away, why not SALE away…by taking advantage of one of the prime clothing discount months of the year.
According to Shop It To Me data, the steepest online clothing sales for women are found during January/February (average 50%-off during those months vs. yearly average of 48% off) and also during August/September.
To score some goodies when the timing is ripe, follow these handy tips and Treat Yourself:
1. Think sweet 16: January is one of the best months of the year for clothing sales, but the discounts will be the biggest in the second half of the month, starting around January 16. You may see good deals now, but if you wait a little longer, sales will get better. Most retailers close their fiscal years on January 31 and they want to book as much revenue as they can and clear inventory prior to that date.
2. Sale on sale: Throughout January you’ll see retailers offering additional discounts on merchandise that’s already steeply marked down. We’ve seen this “sale on sale” trend for a few weeks now, and it is continuing through the end of the month. For example, Calvin Klein is offering an additional 25% off sale items until 1/20, and French Connection has an additional 60% off on sale merchandise (plus free shipping with code FCNOW!) until 1/31. We’ve compiled a list of this week’s best retailer sales.
3. Pick your pieces wisely: January is the best month of the year for sales on dresses, skirts, jewelry, t-shirts, dress shirts, athletic pants and shorts. Check out the full detailed rundown that our data team pulled together.
4. Naming names: As far as the sales we’re holding out for, our team will be shopping Nine West for up 70% off through 1/30, Shoes.com for 15% off and free shipping (with promo code 15OFF through 1/28), and Cusp for 65% off regular-priced apparel and 55% off regular-priced accessories (through 1/21). The moms and dads in our midst will be scooping up Crocs (spend $100, save $20 with code JAN20 until 1/31). And, for all you North Face stalkers out there, check out REI-OUTLET for up to 50% off on select gear (through 1/23) and fresh closeout gear (from 1/24 – 1/31).
5. Baby it’s not so cold outside: It’s already a boon that many locales are balmier than usual, but an added bonus is that retailers are going to get serious about moving outerwear off their shelves. Historically women’s coats have averaged 47% off at this time of year, men’s have averaged at 40% off, girl’s have averaged at 40% off and boy’s have averaged at 38% off. Use this as your barometer, and if you see steeper sales, snap them up for better than average deals. We’ve also just noticed new outerwear promotions sprouting up from retailers such as All Saints, Sports Authority, Jos A Bank and Eddie Bauer, among others.
January 12, 2012 No Comments
With 2011 winding down, we asked our data scientists to drill down on the most popular sales of the year*. We were completely surprised by their findings on which clothing, shoes and accessories came out on top.
See if you can do better than we did at guessing the big winners. Test your sale I.Q. with our 2011 popularity quiz and rate your score on the scale provided. See how others voted, and then see the correct answers below.
0-2 correct answers = Deal Rookie
3-5 correct answers, Average Bargainista
6+ correct answers, Samurai Saler
- Conventional wisdom might expect Marc by Marc Jacobs Hobo or Rebecca Minkoff’s Mac Clutch to be the most wanted, but Treesje’s Dylan Shoulder bag at 76% off was most popular.
- Everyone loved wedge booties this year, but in the case of these three, the side zip ones from Acne took the most popular award.
- With denim, neither biggest discount nor designer name dictated the winner. We would have called this contest for J. Brand… but David Kahn’s bootcuts surprisingly bested the competition.
- All four of these made it into the top 20 most popular items of 2011. But, it was Michael Kors’ belted lace-print silk-twill dress that dominated.
- North Face at 20-25 percent-off compelled tens of thousands of you to click. In this grouping, the Denali jacket generated the highest number of clicks.
- We predicted Hunter’s would be most popular tall boots, but it was actually the slouch boots from Frye (the least discounted in the grouping) that routed the rest.
- As far as flippys, Jack Rogers were most popular. The Havaianas were a close runner-up, as they too landed in the top 25 most popular items of the year.
*Methodology: We only looked at items with over 1,000 appearances in Shop It To Me Salemail. “Most popular” is calculated as the highest ratio of clicks/appearances.
December 28, 2011 No Comments
America is really catching the cyber-sale bug, if yesterday’s online buying frenzy is any indication. It seems like everyone was crossing names off their holiday lists by taking advantage of the unprecedented deals. More people hit the Web yesterday than on any previous Cyber Monday. Hurrah the holiday (online) sales!
We thought a little number crunching would paint a picture of the markdowns you guys got this weekend. Here’s what we found:
Online shoppers on Black Friday and Cyber Monday found virtually the same deals
On Cyber Monday, shoppers got the biggest discounts on:
- Women’s items (44% off)
- Boys (39% off)
- Men’s and Girls (38% off each)
Black Friday deals looked about the same:
- Women’s items (45% off)
- Men’s and Girls (39% off each)
- Boys (37% off)
Cyber Monday’s women’s apparel bargain hunters found the biggest discounts on: Shorts and Swimwear (49% off), Jeans (48% off), Casual shirts (47% off), Dresses and Tshirts (46% off), Skirts (45% off),
This mirrored Black Friday’s markdowns: Shorts and sportcoats (49% off), Casual shirts, dresses, jeans, skirts, suits (48% off)
A handful of retailers saved their best deals for Cyber Monday
- The following companies offered 60% or more off yesterday only: 7 For All Mankind, Lucky Jeans, ShopManhattanite, Last Call, C&CCalifornia.com
- Chico’s and theOutnet offered at least 60% off on both Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Cyber Monday analysis looked at over 44,000 women’s online markdowns, over 10,500 men’s online markdowns,and over 2,500 kids online markdowns — all on Monday, 11/29/11. Black Friday analysis looked at over 43,000 women’s online markdowns, over 9,000 men’s online markdowns,and over 2,500 kids online markdowns — all on Friday, 11/25/11.
November 29, 2011 No Comments
Shop It To Me’s data team is always looking for insights from our massive database to help you save the most.
Our data divers just uncovered some interesting intel about where you might be able to find the best discounts on women’s clothing, shoes and accessories for the remainder of the year. Read on for what we think are key takeaways from holiday season’s past:
For swoon-worthy sales, online-only retailers may be your best bet. During holiday shopping season last year (October through December), Online-only retailers were discounting at an average of 45.7%, with Specialty Retailers at 45%. Department store discounts lagged at about 41%.
The deals may be even better for Holiday 2011, if discounting trends so far this year continue. To date in 2011, Online-only retailers are averaging 47.3% off women’s items, compared with 45.9% off for Specialty retailers and 43% off from Department Stores.
Expect deeper discounts than last year. Overall, women’s discounts online across all types of retailers have become steeper in each of the past two years. For example, summer season discounts in 2009 averaged 41.9%; in 2010, discounts jumped to 45.8% off; and this summer, they reached 47.0% off.
But, don’t hold off purchases, expecting this trend to continue. While online discounting has become deeper each year, the size of the increase is getting smaller and smaller. During summer 2010, discounts were almost 4% deeper than for 2009, while this year, they were only about 1% steeper than prior year.
Our data team looked at more than 25 million total women’s items from 139 retailers sold online over the past three years (whew!) to find these insights for you. Now they are working on advice for Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping. Stay tuned!
November 1, 2011 No Comments
We’re really feeling the love this week. With friends and family sales galore, we’ve got your special discount codes right here. There’s a huge range of items and retailers on sale, something amazing for every shopping mood.
KateSpade.com: Friends & Family sale, 30% off sitewide with code: FALL11FF thru Sun 10/23. That’s right, fellow Kate Spade fanatics — the sale has finally arrived! We can’t even begin to contain our excitement. Go wild and grab all of those Kate Spade can’t-live-without-’em essentials.
Asos.com: Mid-season sale, up to 70% off, PLUS an extra 10% off with code BONUS10 thru Sun 10/23. If you haven’t shopped the incredible selection of Asos goods before, you’re in for a serious treat. This UK-based retailer is chock-full of unique items that you’ll instantly fall in love with. Plus, free shipping and returns — what’s to lose?!
7 For All Mankind: Friends & Family sale, 30% off full-price items with code 7FAMFF11 thru Mon 10/24. Need a denim refresh? Take advantage of premium denim styles at a discount. Styles sported around our office are: The Bell Bottom Super Flare, The Gwenevere Super Skinny Gummy and The “A” Pocket Flare. Nothing like some new jeans to get you in the fall mood.
Saks Fifth Avenue: Friends & Family sale, 20% off thousands of items with code FRIEND9 thru Sun 10/23. We love using sales like this to buy the essentials that hardly go on sale, such as these amazing Fendi Forever Logo Sunglasses or this classic Burberry Giant Check Scarf.
Lacoste: Friends & Family sale, 20% off full-price items, no code needed thru Sun 10/23. For the prepster in all of us, it’s the perfect time to stock up on a few classic crocodile-clad items. For the edgier prepster, check out the Lacoste + Malandrino line – an incredible collaboration between Lacoste and Catherine Malandrino (definitely worth a peek).
Boy, do we have a lot of fashionable friends this week! Time’s ticking — better get moving on these limited-time sales. Happy shopping everyone!
October 21, 2011 1 Comment
While we’ve been looking forward to the new iPhone like the rest of ‘em, we must confess that the adorable cases out there have us equally excited! After searching high and low for the world’s cutest cell holder, we were able to narrow it down to our seven favorites.
(Clockwise from top left)
The perfect accessory for all you stylish social butterflies…after all, don’t you think your cell phone deserves a cute outfit, too?!
October 19, 2011 4 Comments