Scarves are one of the easiest, most affordable ways to completely change the look of an outfit. There are, oh, about a bajillion ways to wear them, but here we’ll share some of our favorite fresh new styles to add to your wrap repertoire.
1. Belt It: Place the scarf around your neck, wear a blazer or cardigan on top and wrap a belt over the whole thing. Leave space between the ends if you don’t want to completely cover up your top.
2. Knot It: This necklace-like style works especially well with long scarves.
3. Loop It: Makeshift an infinity scarf by wrapping it around your neck and tucking in the ends.
4. Wear It as a Headscarf: Wrap a long, thin scarf around your head to instantly transition from “bad hair day” to “boho fab”.
5. Wear It as a Skirt: Warning — we recommend only wearing this style over an actual skirt or dress to avoid a potentially-embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. That said, when done properly it’s a perfect way to get a Grecian draped effect.
6. Keep It Classic: Wrapping a scarf around your neck balances out a lower-cut top, but it can be worn with just about anything.
Inspired? Let’s get shopping! If you haven’t already, add accessories to your Salemail by logging in at shopittome.com/profile and and editing “Sizes/Categories”. Then visit Shop It To Me Search to peruse all the scarves.
We’d love to know — which style do you like best?
January 6, 2011 No Comments
Just before the holiday madness set in, a few of our friends from the blog & retailer world visited the Shop It To Me office for a fun little mixer! We were wowed by how fabulous everyone looked, and couldn’t resist sharing a few photos:
Alice & Erin
Janette & Natalie
BEE & Laura
Team Shop It To Me!
Thanks to everyone who stopped by! And if you’re a blogger in the Bay Area, be sure to drop us a note so we can add you to our press invite list. More fun to come in 2011!
January 5, 2011 2 Comments
We have some very exciting news to share with you all… Natalie’s engaged! Her boyfriend Chris surprised her with an adorable and heartwarming proposal (and stunning ring!) a couple weeks back, and we couldn’t be happier for the college sweethearts. And he popped the question just in time for the holidays!
So from all of us here at Shop It To Me, we’d like to say CONGRATULATIONS to Natalie and Chris — you two make a beautiful couple and we wish you the very best!
January 3, 2011 1 Comment
If you’re anything like us, between holiday shopping, entertaining, work, etc. etc. etc. the last few weeks have flown by in a crazy whirlwind—leaving little time to take advantage of the major holiday sales for yourself.
As it turns out, you haven’t missed out. If last year is any indication, January is one of the better months to buy clothing, as retailers push to clear out their inventories—by way of massive discounts—to make way for spring merch. Keep an eye out for the kinds of markdowns that surpass the average sale prices available at pretty much any other time of the year (i.e. where prices fall beyond 44% off).
If you’re in need of a wardrobe refresh, or are taking a winter holiday to sunnier climes, here’s a rundown of some of the best things to stock up on in the first month of 2011 based on the average discounts we tracked last year.
- Women’s skirts could average 52% off (tapered, ladylike styles are not only on-trend, but classic)
- Women’s shorts could average 53% off (look for ones in wool, dark denim, or even sequins)
- Swimwear could average 58% off (avoid the dreaded dressing room by buying online)
- T-shirts could average 50% off (find slouchy, oversize styles to pair with leggings or slim-cut jeans)
- Belts could average 45% off (wide leather styles are especially good for adding shape to a loose-fitting cardigan)
- Casual pants could average 51% off (cargoes are still the way to go through spring)
As far as menswear, the best deals are likely to be found on casual pants and shirts, as well as belts.
The items listed above were more on sale last January than they were at any other month during the year. If history repeats itself, consider yourself forewarned on what to snap up.
As you ponder January’s best bargains—tell us the pieces you’re hoping will go further on sale.
*Shop It To Me analyzed sales offered by retailers on over 6.8 million women’s items and 1.5 million men’s items. January 2010 sales were isolated, and compared to the rest of the months between August 2009-July 2010.
January 3, 2011 No Comments
Before toasting the night away to an even more fabulous & fashionable 2011, we wanted to reflect on some stand-out trends from the past year.
(image via stylefrizz)
We asked our Twitter followers, and they spoke on the styles they loved most from 2010. Here are some of our favorites:
- diabolina: ombré hair, kitten heels, leopard print, maxi skirts
- iheartheels: Wedge booties by far. Add shearling, even better
- BiattaIntimates: Bodysuits
- smitus: I love the menswear trend of 2010 & hope it continues
- DanielleDiDit: The poof!
- frugalista: gray nail polish!
- ModelinaM: I like the long tunic look
What are some of your favorite trends from 2010? What trends do you hope to see surface (or resurface) in the new year?
*Join in on the conversation! Make sure you’re following us on Twitter so we can chat style, shopping & more!
December 31, 2010 No Comments
One of Rebecca Minkoff’s best selling bags – the Textured Croc Morning After Mini – is available to Shop It To Me followers at half price… today only! We’ll only be promoting this deal via Facebook, Twitter, and right here on our blog, so it’s the most exclusive Deal of the Day yet. Don’t miss out on the fun!
To order your Morning After Mini bag for the bargain price of $262.35 (reg. price $530), just click here and enter promo code SHOPMABMINI at checkout.
December 29, 2010 No Comments
Last chance to get in on our Rebecca Minkoff Deal of the Day extravaganza. Today’s bag is the very stylish, incredibly chic, Black Quilted Leather Rocker! It is an adorable clutch-sized bag with an added chain shoulder strap — ideal for any night out on the town. And we’re bringing it to you for half the price of retail.
The best part is the fabulous and functional Rocker can be yours for just $137 (original price $275). Plus, did we mention there’s free shipping? To redeem this deal, just click here and enter code SHOPROCKER at checkout. But hurry, quantities are limited and we’re selling out fast!
December 29, 2010 No Comments
All shopped out? Neither are we! The good news is there has never been a better time to shop than now. With post-holiday sales in full force, the savings right now are unreal! We’re talkin’ markdowns of up to 70%, here.
To make your lives easier (as you know we love to do!), we’ve hunted down the best of the best in after-Christmas sales so you don’t have to! Here are the deals you simply must check out:
United States Retailers:
- Victoria’s Secret – Semi-Annual Sale (ends 1/23)
- Last Call – Oh What Fun Sale up to 50% off (ends 1/3)
- CUSP – extra 30% off sale items (ends 1/3)
- Charlotte Russe – additional 50% off sale items (ends 1/5)
- Ella Moss – up to 30% off (ends 1/7)
- New York & Company – up to 70% off (ends 1/9)
- Nordstrom – Men’s Half-Yearly Sale (ends 1/6), & 33%+ off Womens (ends 1/11)
- Ralph Lauren – extra 25% off sale items (ends 1/12)
- Eddie Bauer – Ultimate Winter Sale up to 60% off (ends 1/17)
- Nine West – up to 70% off (ends 1/31)
United Kingdom Retailers:
- Debenhams – up to 70% off (ends 1/5)
- Selfridges – post-Holiday sale (ends 1/31)
- Mango – post-Holiday sale (ends 2/1)
Well, what are you waiting for? Shop now! You can thank us later. ;)
December 28, 2010 No Comments
In case you missed out on yesterday’s exclusive offer, its not too late to snag an adorable Rebecca Minkoff bag at half price! With today’s members-only Shop It To Me deal, you can order the Harewood Mac Clutch for the bargain price of $164 (regularly priced $330).
This perfectly sized clutch is great for everyday wear or for going out — and the oakey brown color makes it totally versatile! Spotted on celebrities such as Reese Witherspoon and Blake Lively, the “it-bag” is guaranteed to keep you lookin’ stylish well into the new year.
To make the Harewood Mac Clutch your own, just click here and enter promo code SHOPMAC at theckout. But hurry, quantities are limited and the offer is valid today only!
December 28, 2010 No Comments
Returns — what a chore! Now that you’ve received various holiday gifts, or regretfully given items the recipient didn’t love, you may have a stack of returns sitting sadly in a corner. Back in August, we provided guidance about store return policies, and tips for making online returns & exchanges. Now that it’s prime returning season, we wanted to refresh your memory and re-post that piece for easy reference:
THE A TO Z OF EASY ONLINE RETURNS
Shopping may be on your list of favorite activities, but making returns can be about as much fun as folding laundry. Don’t sweat it. The good news is, just as online shopping is convenient, returning online purchases can be a breeze too.
Since lots of our members have questions about all the various policies, we’ve created the definitive guide, including Online Department Store Return Policies, Online Boutique Return Policies, and Online Specialty Store Return Policies. Have a question about a particular store’s return policy? Click the relevant link (for Nordstrom.com, click on the department store link) for an at-your-fingertips reference guide.
How Return Mailing Labels Work
Many online department stores allow you to take items back to their brick-and-mortar locations. As an alternative, they even include mailing labels with your package to make returns easy. Just slap it on a box and mail it back — a shipping fee will be deducted once your return is processed. For example, Barneys charges a $8 fee if you use their mailing label. So if you return a $100 dress from Barneys, $92 will go back on your card ($100 return less the $8 mailing label fee).
Quick Tips for Easy Returns
Keep these quick tips in mind so you can wrap up any returns and get right back to shopping:
- When making returns in-store, bring your invoice, original packing materials, credit card and ID.
- You can’t return online items to off-price stores. For example, Nordstrom.com items can’t be returned to Nordstrom Rack.
- Online shoppers have more return options. Online returns can also be made in store, while you can’t return in-store purchases by mail.
- Initial shipping fees are not refunded when returning an item unless you are buying from a retailer that offers free shipping and free returns.
- Retailers that offer free shipping and returns include Shopbop, Urban Outfitters and Endless.
- Getting refunded: By-mail returns are generally processed within 14 business days from the date you ship it back.
- Final sale items cannot be returned. Just as you can’t return final sale items to a store, you can’t return them online either.
Return information like timeframe and cost vary from store to store. Just in case you have any last-minute returns, these details are worth knowing to avoid any potential mishaps. Check back and we’ll lay out all the nitty gritty by retailer for online department stores, boutiques and specialty stores such as J. Crew and Banana Republic.
December 27, 2010 No Comments