This year is Super Bowl XLVIII (48) in more ways than one. This isn’t just the NFL’s biggest matchup of the year, it’s also the Super Bowl of Sales, the absolute best week of the year to score the steepest markdowns on women’s clothing online. Any ideas on the average discount you can expect? You guessed it – 48%.
The steals are off the charts right now, so swoop in and hit the racks. For more of our findings, take a look at how to score the best deals in 2014. See you at checkout!
Methodology: Shop It To Me analyzed more than 1 million sale items available online from January 1 to December 31 2013.
For more information on these and other stats, contact Margie Cader: firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 31, 2014 No Comments
As the week with the steepest discounts of the year rolls on, we are continuing to find markdowns of 60% off and higher on some amazing stuff.
What surprisingly steep sales have you found this week?
1. Alexander Wang dress now $198 (60% off)
2. L’Agence top now $105 (70% off)
3. Proenza Schouler shoes now $282 (60% off)
4. Christopher Kane dress now $408 (70% off)
5. Suno dress now $115.01 (60% off)
6. Opening Ceremony tote now $320 (60% off)
7. Christopher Kane dress now $400.03 (79% off)
January 30, 2014 No Comments
We told you last week how to score the best deals in 2014, but this week happens to be the week with the steepest discounts. That’s right, the top 5 days for sales fell between Januray 27 and February 3 according to our data from 2013.
The average discount for women’s clothing at this time of year is a whopping 48% off! So here are some of our favorite items on sale this week at 48% off or higher:
1. Kate Spade New York bag now $179 (55% off)
2. Vince jacket now $243 (65% off)
3. Lanvin booties now $459 (60% off)
4. Tory Burch dress now $138 (65% off)
5. Dannijo necklace now $166.19 (58% off)
6. DVF skirt now $79 (71% off)
January 29, 2014 No Comments
January 23, 2014 No Comments
We’ve just completed our annual State of the Sales address for 2013 and found some interesting tips and trends that should serve you well in the year to come.
What You Really Need to Know
We’re happy to report that the average discounts on clothes increased across the board – here’s hoping this trend is here to stay.
- Men’s and girls’ clothing saw the biggest increase in markdowns. The average discount on men’s and girls’ apparel items in 2013 was 40 percent off – up 4 percentage points from 2012.
- Discounts on boys’ clothing increased by 3.5 percent to 38 percent off.
- Discounts on women’s apparel continue to be the highest at an average of almost 46 percent off, an increase of 1.5 percent.
Late January/Early February Is Still the Best Time for Sales
One thing that didn’t change in 2013 is the timing of the deepest discounts. The annual “Super Bowl of Sales” continues to be in late January and early February:
- The top 10 days with deepest discounts in 2013 all fell in the four-weeks from Jan. 17 to Feb. 18. Though the volume of what’s on sale is smaller than what you see on Black Friday or Cyber Monday—the average percentage-off discounts are greater in January and February.
- The top five days for sales on women’s clothing were between Jan. 27 and Feb. 3, with Presidents’ weekend sales coming in a close second.
- The top days to shop for men’s clothing fell slightly earlier: Jan. 24 to Jan. 29.
February offered the best discounts of the year, with an average of more than 46 percent off (and an amazing 48 percent off on women’s clothing). January was close behind with more than 45.5 percent off. So with two months of cold weather still ahead in what has been the coldest winter since 1962, this is a great time to buy a winter coat or boots!
As for deals on summer clothes, wait until August (which tied with January for second place for the deepest discounts) or July, when shoppers score an average of more than 45 percent off.
But buyer beware if you’re shopping June: that particular month had the lowest average percentage-off discounts in 2013–especially the first two weeks. May, April, November and December followed with the lowest percentages off on sale merchandise.
Don’t Believe the Media Hype: Retailers ARE still discounting
One happy fact we discovered is that stores were discounting online offerings throughout the year.
Although most retailers say they’ve gotten better at controlling inventories to avoid discounting, we saw lots of online sales from across the industry: from big department stores (Saks, Nordstrom and Macy’s) to online retailers (Amazon, Zappos and Shopbop) to specialty stores (J. Crew and Ralph Lauren).
We asked our friend Mark Ellwood, an authority on all things sale, the reason behind this trend.
“I hope every retailer that claims it’s cutting down on promotions has his or her fingers crossed behind their backs, because numbers don’t lie,” said discount expert Mark Ellwood, author of Bargain Fever: How to Shop in a Discounted World.
“Shoppers can always find what they’re craving on sale somehow, if they operate on the basis of smarts and sweaty palms,” Mark says. “In other words, do some research (comparison shop online, for example) and don’t be afraid to challenge a store. Befriending a sales assistant, for instance, means you can often negotiate on prices or be offered access to secret, VIP-aimed promotions known as pre-sale.”
More Shopping Tips
If you want to be sure you get first dibs when merchandise first becomes marked down, follow these rules:
- Thursday is the best day to find new merchandise on sale. Wednesday comes in second, followed by Friday.
- Monday is the worst day for new sale items, followed by Tuesday.
- Check on items you’re coveting every day via Shop It To Me. You never know when an item might be returned and suddenly available in your size at a fantastic price.
January 23, 2014 No Comments
Exciting news for our male members! East Dane has just joined the Shop It To Me family.
- East Dane is the newest menswear venture from leading women’s retailer, Shopbop
- You can find top brands like Rag & Bone, Vince, Jack Spade, Marc by Marc Jacobs and more
- They offer free 3-day shipping and returns, plus Amazon Prime members can enjoy prime shipping benefits
To see what’s on sale in your size from East Dane now, login to your Shop It To Me account, click “Retailers” on the left, select East Dane and shop away!
Here is a little preview of what you can expect to see in your salemail:
1. Splendid Shirt now $22.50 (50% off)
2. Marc by Marc Jacobs Blazer now $199 (50% off)
3. Jack Spade Chinos now $52.50 (70 % off)
4. JBrand Denim now $152.60 (30% off)
5. Scott & Soda Shirt now $52.50 (50% off)
6. Rag & Bone Cardigan now $145 (50% off)
January 17, 2014 No Comments
We are excited to announce our latest additions to the Shop It To Me family… 16 new men’s brands! You can now peruse sales from designers such as Kenzo, DL1961, Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York and more.
To add brands to your Salemail alerts: visit the men’s brands page and click the “All Brands” tab. Check off any of the new brands you want to see in your salemail!
Here is a list of our new brands:
Here is a sneak peek of what you can expect to see:
1. Bogosse Shirt now $57.50 (50% off)
2. Will Leather Goods Belt now $29.75 (50% off)
3. Penfield Jacket now $84.98 (50% off)
4. Magnanni Shoes now $200 (40% off)
5. DL1961 Jeans now $100 (40% off)
6. Barney’s New York Sportcoat now $319 (40% off)
January 8, 2014 No Comments
We are excited to announce our latest additions to the Shop It To Me family… 20 new women’s brands! You can now peruse sales from designers such as Barbour, Lovers + Friends, Matt Bernson and more.
To add brands to your Salemail alerts: visit the women’s brands page and click the “All Brands” tab. Check off any of the new brands you want to see in your salemail!
And here is a little preview of what you can expect to see:
1. Charlotte Olympia Heels now $447.50 (50% off)
2. Line & Dot Dress now $65 (50% off)
3. Liebeskind Tote now $166 (33% off)
4. Chinti and Parker Top now $30 (60% off)
5. Matt Bernson Booties now $222 (30% off)
6. Enza Costa Sweater now $120 (67% off)
January 7, 2014 No Comments
So you’re a procrastinator? No judgements here, because Free Shipping Day was invented for you. Today only, almost every store is offering free shipping, no minimum with guaranteed delivery by December 24th. The complete roundup of stores and codes are all right here.
FREE SHIPPING CODES:
Saks Fifth Avenue: use code HOLIDAY at checkout for free shipping
Saks Off 5th: use code FREESHIP at checkout for free shipping
Bergdorf Goodman: use code BGGIFT at checkout for free two-day shipping
DVF: use code FREESHIPDAY at checkout for free shipping
Nike: use code JUSTDOIT at checkout for free shipping
Eddie Bauer: use code FROST at checkout for free shipping
NO CODE REQUIRED FOR FREE SHIPPING:
December 18, 2013 No Comments
Ever receive an email offer from a retailer for apparel or accessories you wouldn’t buy in a million years? Something that made you ask,“what were they thinking?”– like an offer on kids’ shoes, when you don’t have any children? Or for men’s underwear, when you’re a single woman?
We know this type of irrelevant email is annoying – that’s one reason we started Shop It To Me. But we were curious about how big a problem this really is and decided to conduct a survey to find out. After all, retailers collect lots of data on what we buy, so they should be able to guess what we want. Right?
Our survey (conducted online by Harris Interactive) of more than 2,000 U.S. adults age 18 and older found that 63% have received “irrelevant” emails for clothing, accessories and shoes in the past three months. Here’s what else we learned:
• 34% received emails offering items that are too expensive
• 32% received offers for “styles I don’t wear”
• 22%, for “designers/brands I don’t like”
• 22%, for the wrong age group
• 18%, for the wrong gender
The problem doesn’t appear to discriminate by income, age, education or marital status — although women are more likely to receive off-target email offers than men (66% vs. 60%, respectively), while men are more likely to get offers for the wrong gender than women (23% vs. 13%). Women also are more likely than men to receive email offers for items that are too expensive (40% vs. 29%).
Interestingly, only 30% of U.S. adults say they’ve received email offers that were sent without their permission in the past three months. Which begs the question: why sign up for emails when so many of the offers are off-target?
At Shop It To Me, we don’t guess what you want. We only send you relevant sale news about the items you want, in your sizes, from your favorite brands. And, since we partner with more than 100 retailers, you can clear all the clutter out of your mailbox without ever missing a sale you definitely DON’T want to skip!
Click here to update your brand preferences to ensure Shop it to Me has you covered this holiday season.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Shop It To Me from November 19-21, 2013 among 2,082 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Margie Cader at email@example.com.
December 4, 2013 No Comments